Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Marine Magnet

Drea describes an encounter with a Marine (yes, another one) on a recent trip to Puerto Rico.Me: (wading the water at the beach, minding my own business)

Random guy with surfboard: (approaches me and makes small talk)
Me: (listening politely, not really interested)
Random guy with surfboard: so where are you from?
Me: Virginia
Random guy: oh i LOVE Virginia!
Me: oh really? (eyes rolling ever so slightly)
Random guy: yeah i used to live up there!
Me: (really rolling my eyes wishing he would go surf or something)
Random guy: yeah, I was stationed at Quantico. I just got out of the Marine Corps. I loved it!
Me: (wondering where the magnet may be located in my body so that I can somehow break free of the Marine Corps)
Random guy: Marines blah blah blah marines blah blah blah, you should come out swimming with me...I'll show you how to surf.
Me: no thank you but it sounds like fun ... (and then I fled the scene). So you see, either God is trying to give me a sign here or I'm just a very special - but not so lucky - girl. What is it about me that trained killers love?

No comments: