Sunday, March 30, 2008

Chapel Speech #2

Because it's Sunday and you asked for it. Click below & enjoy.

Miss Whitney J Spivey
Uppingham Chapel Talk
November 2007

Good morning! For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Whitney Spivey. I taught here last year and returned to the States in July to pursue a career in journalism. I currently write for Washingtonian Magazine, reporting on people, news, and events around the United States capital. Working for Washingtonian has been an incredible experience and a great introduction into the world of journalism. In fact, since many of you last saw me, I’ve met Ben Affleck, partied with the Washington Redskins football team, interviewed a Mrs. America contestant, and enjoyed more free drinks than you can count on all your fingers and toes. Not bad, huh?

Well, Miss Spivey, you might wonder, if you’re living the good life in Washington, what the heck are you doing back here? Well, let me tell you.

In my last chapel speech, I mentioned something about wanting to marry Prince William. Tying the knot with Will is still high up on my priority list, and so really this visit to the UK is actually one last attempt to become the future queen of England. Tomorrow I am going to London and banging on his door until he notices me.

Only kidding.

The real reason I’m here is because … I miss you. And I miss this place. And it took leaving Uppingham for me to realize just how special it is here. Since tomorrow is Thanksgiving, I thought it would be appropriate for me to say a few words about how grateful I am to have spent two years of my life here and why you should be thankful that you go to school here.

But first of all, raise your hand if you have absolutely no idea what Thanksgiving is? And raise your hand if you think you have an idea but you’re not 100% sure? Okay, that’s what I thought. This is England, after all.

Very quickly, Thanksgiving is an American holiday that began in 1621 with settlers in Massachusetts. The Pilgrims, as these settlers were called, arrived in the New World (from England!) without food or knowledge of how to hunt or grow crops, but fortunately the local Indians taught them how to survive in their new country. The Pilgrims were grateful and set apart a holiday immediately after their first harvest, inviting the Indians to join them in a celebration of food and praising God. Today, many of the same sentiments are felt on Thanksgiving. Families and friends gather for a reunion, a day of thanks, and a festive meal where certain kinds of foods are served. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes with gravy, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie are only a few of the favourite dishes. Often during the course of the day people talk about what they are thankful for or they describe experience of the past year that have caused them to feel grateful.

Thanksgiving is a big deal in America and I realize it may seem strange that I am giving up spending the holiday with my family to be here telling you what you should be appreciative of. But just sit tight for a minute – it’s not like you can go anywhere anyways! Here is a short list of things I think you might take for granted but that you should instead by very thankful for.

First of all, house lunch. Now I don’t know if the food at Lorne House has improved since I left, but regardless, house lunch is something pretty special. When I started my job at Washingtonian in August, I was surprised that most of my colleagues eat lunch at their desks, passing time by surfing the Internet or sending personal emails. I realized very quickly that gone were my days of animated conversation about bops or who was gong on walks with whom. The most excitement I get on my lunch break now comes from a good book, a Starbucks frappuccino, and if I’m lucky, a phone call from Miss Schneider. House lunch may seem routine and boring to many of you, but enjoy this time you have with your friends and really try to gain something from the teachers who sit on your tables. If conversation is difficult today, ask the person next to you what he or she is grateful for.

Here’s another one: games. Never again will I have a job that pays me to be outside for several hours at least three days a week. Likewise, once you go to university, you may choose not to participate in sport. But remember that – despite the weather – you live in one of the most beautiful, open, green places in the world. Next time you’re out on the Middle freezing your little legs off, just remember that games are good for you and that by participating in sport you are not only improving your athleticism, but also your mind, as you are learning to interact with people in a different context than you do in the classroom or in the house. Uppingham has some great facilities and you are privileged to use them.

Continuing along those same lines, appreciate walking to lessons. I miss the days of being able to walk to work. I now spend at least two hours of every day driving into and out of Washington. I listen to the radio, so I am totally up to date on my celebrity gossip and top songs, but I miss being able to roll out of bed, down the stairs, onto the high street and into my classroom. I know the Hill houses seem far away and that sometimes the Middle is like another planet, but really guys, its not that far. Plus, walking is good for you and you should be grateful that you have two working legs to get you around from place to place.

The size of Uppingham is one of the factors that make this place so special. Chances are, you may never again live in a town where you recognize 95% of the people walking down the sidewalk (I’m sorry, the pavement). You may never again live in a county with more sheep than humans. In Washington, we have more asses than humans, but that’s a completely different story.

Moving right along. Prep time. Gosh, I wish I had prep time back in America. I am considering attending graduate school next fall, which requires performing well on a major test with extensive math and verbal components. I try to study but there are simply so many other things I would rather be doing. For example, I wrote this speech instead of memorizing vocabulary words. So basically, if I don’t get accepted to any graduate program, I’m blaming all of you. Seriously though, prep time is meant to help you reach your academic potential. I lived in a boarding house for two years so I know that some of you take it more seriously than others. But honestly, from 7 to 9 PM, be a huge nerd, do your work. You’re not missing out on anything fun because everyone else across the school is subjected to two hours of the silent treatment as well. If you use every minute of your prep time efficiently, I promise you that your marks will improve and you will have more free time during the day to busy yourself with non school related work.

Uppingham as a community. You have, all around you, a network of friends, teachers and tutors who truly care about you – and will for many years to come. This was made especially clear to me at the end of the summer when one of my younger brothers was badly burned in a fire and was in intensive care in the hospital for almost a month. I was amazed at the number of emails, cards, and of course facebook messages I received from people here, offering their condolences and wishing Jackson well. It was an amazing feeling to know that people were thinking about me and my family from all the way across the Atlantic. Be kind to the people around you and keep in touch with them when you leave this place – they care for you more than you may realize.

Another example of this “Uppingham love” occurred earlier this month when the politics students visited Washington. I was fortunate to meet up with the group and was greeted with such warmth and feeling it was as though I’d never left. In fact, as the kids boarded the bus back to the hotel, I think I set a world record for most hugs received on a Georgetown street corner.

And by the way – all you politics kids – be thankful that the drinking age is only 18 here. There were more than a few of you a bit too upset that in America, a person must be 21 to buy or consume alcohol. Good thing there was an Abercrombie & Fitch nearby to help you shop away your sorrows.

And last but not least, be thankful that this speech is over and that you will no longer be subjected to hearing about my obsession with Prince William – at least not until the next time I visit. Thank you and happy Thanksgiving.

We will now sing hymn number ___.

No comments: